My time at Mt gravatt High School




Last weekend my old school Mt Gravatt High School celebrate 50 years when it opened in 1960 and it's 14 years when I went there as well as leaving which i am glad to have been a part of that school's history. My connection with that school actually started 20 years in 1990 when I did an Science Course with Norma Koplick, Clifford Whittaker, Scott Johnston and Chris Slater as we were students @ Buranda Special School and it lasted an few months which it was an really good experience and also did a brief visit in March 1994 as my Georgaphy class under Miss Justo went there on a Tuesday to check some info which i found info on India. When Buranda was closing in late 1995 me and classmates who eventually came to MGHS went to the school 3 times to check the palce out, check the classroom we were going to be in, learning how to get there, ordered our uniforms and had an morning tea there on Friday november 24th which i remember meeting karl Shrubsole (deputy principal at that time). Me, Matthew Stewart,Alana Connor, David Younger and jade Moore started @ Mt Gravatt High on Monday January 29th 1996 and what i remember about that first day was my dad hemi took me and Matthew to the school as we met at Stones Corner, sitting in parade being welcomed and the first students I met that first day were-Brett Box, Ryan and Matthew Lakeland. it was to be an great time of our lives which for me i had an wonderful time making friends and enjoying the experience and it lasted until Friday November 29th as me,Matthew and David finished school and Alana lasted until mid 1997. From 1997 until 2007 after leaving I would make visits there a few times a year to see Mrs Winsch,Mrs Lee and Mrs Cooke as they were remaining connections with Buranda and due to work @ St Andrews War Memorial Hospital I have not been able to visit but will try to come and visit when the time is right. I have an lot of great memories of my time @ MGHS and will never forget the experience of my time there. the highlights for me of my time @ Mount Gravatt High were-
1. Playing in the school cricket team
2. Winning the federal government award for my contribution to the school community.
3.Losing my shoe @ the athletics carnival just after starting off and got 2nd last place with Aaron Young being last.
4. doing the Brisbane Broncos jerseys scrubbing and washing them
5. Doing work experience @ Coles Cannon Hill, Scurr Brothers in Mt Gravatt, St Andrews War Memorial Hospital in the Auxilairy Coffee Shop and Mater Hospital in the kitchen. (Little did I know at that stage that i would volunteer work and eventually becoming an employee @ St Andrews being the mail clerk)
6. Seeing the broncos train @ Red Hill in May which we got autographs and photos
7. Making friends with many students like Mylie Woodland, Lauren berry, Heidi and Krystelle Woodland, Belinda Hauser(Cremin), Angela Browne(watego), Aaron young,Chavah Rutherford, Jo and Kathryn Dixon, Catherine Wallace, Megan Prestney(Hutton), jackie Hogarth, Tom Avern, vanessa Warbrook, kate Koppenol, Samantha Browne and many others and also renewing friendships with Chris and Cadence Wright.
8.Going on the trip to Cairns after finishing School in November which i had an wonderful time.
9. having free dress day which it was great fun and I remember Mufty Day when the teachers dressed in the school uniforms.
10. Doing gardening with Eddie and ray on Fridays
11. going to lunch @ Mt Gravatt tafe some times
12 Going to Salisbury to get my school bag as it was taken there by accident on a friday afternoon in April 1996.
I want to say thanks to the teachers Jill Winsch and Betty lee, teacher aide Steven Cullen, social workers Kirsten, Bianca and Andrew, principals Julie brown and Tony Winter, deputy principals Alanah Cameron and Karl Shrubsole, my form teacher Mrs Kitzelman, Mr Larkin for having us in his art class on Tuesdays,other staff members, Sonia who came for drama every Monday for a few months, my class mates Matthew Stewart,Alana Connor,david Younger, jade Moore and Adrian and of course the other students for being great friends for the 11 month period of my time MGHS which i enjoyed the friendships, fun and humor as I always remember Lauren Berry and Mylie said 'your fly is undone' and in the first week back in the last term Kate, emily and Leticia ask me to say to egwin that does he eat eggs which I actually did'nt say it and I will never forget them. Thanks to my family for the love and support and I am very proud to be a part of the school's history as well as part of the first Special ed unit there which I am glad it continues to this day and may Mt Gravatt High School go on for another 50 years

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buddy Holly/Jerry Lee Lewis/Paul Anka/Jodie Sands/Johnny O'keefe Australian tour 1958

Vale Peter Flanagan(the Fauns/The Flanagans)

Roland Storm , Bryan Davies and the Mighty Guys show @ South Tweed Sports Club June 6th 2015