Vale Darryl Cotton

Just over 6 weeks ago Australian music lost an true icon Darryl Cotton after an short battle with liver cancer on July 27th I first heard of the name Darryl Cotton back in the late 80's when he was on the kids TV show on Saturdays The Early Bird Show which was on Channel 10 with Marie Van Maaren and Marty The Monster and it was popular for an number of years. I did'nt know of his music until the 90's I saw an clip of him performing with Zoot doing Eleanor Rigby on an Saturday night back late 1990 and also saw him on TV Ronnie Burns and Russell Morris performing together on TV as well as listening to the Zoot songs on 4KQ besides from Eleanor Rigby which were 1x2x3x4 and Monty and Me. I did'nt see Darryl live with Ronnie and Russell but I did eventually see him live was at Kedron Wavell on Thursday October 26th 2000 with Russell and lead singer of the Masters Apprentices Jim Keays who replaced Ronnie Burns and it was an FANTASTIC and they sang great that night which I got autographs that night. Second time was on Thursday September 1st 2005 which was my 27th Birthday which was at Kedron Wavell and I remember Swanee was the support act and also the guys were FANTASTIC doing those hits which i remember Darryl doing 1x2x3x4 and Evil Child as well as doing Will I, The same old Girl and Eleanor Rigby and also after the show got autograph and an photo which was an thrill.
3rd time was at Kedron Wavell on Friday october 3rd 2008 which by that time jim Keays was back on the road with Russell and Darryl as he had an scare with cancer that was mulitple myeloma and he was great that night and the show was FANTASTIC which I got autographs and photos after the show
The 4th and sadly the last time which I would not have known was at Kedron Wavell on Friday October 16th 2009 and they were FANTASTIC doing the hits and other peoples songs as well and got autographs and photos. On Friday may 18th this year I went to Mt Gravatt Bowls Club to see the guys but actually it was just Jim and Russell and it was early in the show they said that Darryl was not well which we thought he was going to be OK but then an month later while I was at Cooly Rocks On in Coolangatta when I heard about him having liver cancer and also hoped he would fight this and get better sadly was'nt to be. on the day he died I was told the news at work by an lady named Lesley and I was shock and sad to hear the news but at least the music he made with Zoot as well as his solo career will live on forever. prior to the illness he had been on the bill of the Go Show tour in mArch,April and early may and had done some Sydney gigs with Russell and Jim which were sadly the last ones. I was lucky and fortunate to have Darryl 4 times as well as having the photos with 3 times and will never forget them which will live on in my memory. Vale Darryl Cotton September 4th 1949-july 27th 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buddy Holly/Jerry Lee Lewis/Paul Anka/Jodie Sands/Johnny O'keefe Australian tour 1958

Vale Peter Flanagan(the Fauns/The Flanagans)

Roland Storm , Bryan Davies and the Mighty Guys show @ South Tweed Sports Club June 6th 2015