Lonnie Lee and the Leemen @ South Tweed Sports Club June 5th 2015

On Friday night June 5th I went to the South Tweed Sports Club to see legendary Australian singer Lonnie Lee which it was my 10th time seeing him and it was second time going to the South Tweed Sports Club as the last time I went there was on Saturday May 30th 2009 when I saw Lucky Starr. I walk to the bus stop, caught bus, got off @ Tweed, walk to the bus stop, signed in, rang Dad, bought Pepsi max, drank it, went inside and waited which an alarm went off as someone touched an door. Lonnie Lee and the Leemen came on stage after 8pm which he did 2 sets as the first one with Lonnie doing an Australian set which he performed songs by people like Johnny O'Keefe, Col Joye, Dig Richards, Johnny Rebb, Warren Williams and others as well as telling stories and in the second set he performed his some of his famous hits as well as classic country,rockabilly and rock songs as well as songs he recorded about 10 years ago as well as an Roy Orbison medley and in the interval bought the black and white years Volume 2 which has clips from Bandstand as well as seeing Suzanne (Lonnie's wife). The show finished after 10.20pm, bought an Lonnie Lee live CD, Lonnie came out which I got the CD and DVD signed as well as a photo with him which Leon Isackson took the photo, went downstairs to get the bus but missed it, rang Mum, Dad picked up and went back to Bella Mare. It was an FANTASTIC show and everyone themselves including myself and Lonnie is still sounding great at age 74(75 on September 18th) with the Leemen playing great as well as performing great songs that has stood the test of time. I hope Lonnie comes back to Cooly Rocks On next year and to those who have not seen Lonnie Lee live do yourself a favour and see Him as he puts on an FANTASTIC show doing great songs which I'm sure it will bring back memories for those who grew up in the late 50's and early 60's watching Bandstand and 6 O'Clock Rock as well as Teen Time, Johnny O'Keefe show and others and for those who were not born in the era but who has an interest in the era you will truly experience seeing an true Australian music legend. Set 1- 6 O'Clock Rock You Hit the Wrong Note Billy Goat So Tough Stagger Lee Oh Yeah Uh Huh Hey Sheriff Come A Little Bit Closer Working For The Man Lawdy Miss Clawdy Turn The Lights Out Johnny Barefoot Boy I Wanna Love You A Star Fell From Heaven Heartbreak Hotel The Wild One Shout Set 2- When The Bells Stop Ringing(1962) Just Walk On By From A Jack To A King A White Sports Coat and an Pink Carnation Starlight Starbright(1960) Can't You See It In My Eyes It Takes me Back Cry Think About Living Black Hills Of Dakota/Wayward Wind/Cool Cool Water I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine/Dreamin/You're Sixteen/I Walk The Line/Story Of My Life/Bop A Lena King of The Road/You're The Reason/North To Alaska Dream Baby/Ooby Dooby/Only the Lonely Ain't It So(1959) I Found A New Love(1960) Be Bop A Lula Blue Moon Of Kentucky Yes Indeed I Do(1960)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buddy Holly/Jerry Lee Lewis/Paul Anka/Jodie Sands/Johnny O'keefe Australian tour 1958

Vale Peter Flanagan(the Fauns/The Flanagans)

Roland Storm , Bryan Davies and the Mighty Guys show @ South Tweed Sports Club June 6th 2015